Visa & Immigration
International students MUST have a STUDENT(D-2) VISA to attend the KDI School. Tourist visas and working visas cannot be used. However any visa that allows student to stay longer than 90 days is acceptable. (e.g. F-3, F-4, A-1, E-1~7, etc.). Korean Law requires that you obtain the appropriate visa in your own country. It is each student’s responsibility to obtain a student (D-2) visa. This can be done at the nearest Korean consulate and embassy in your country. Please make sure to show *the Letter of Acceptance, the Certificate of Admission and the Certificate of Scholarship, issued by admission division of the KDI School, and you should not have difficulties in obtaining a student visa. Approval usually takes only a few days, but be aware that it may take up to a month in some cases.
Because of the possibility of delays, you are strongly encouraged to initiate the student (D-2) visa process promptly by starting the procedure as soon as you receive this letter. You do not need to be concerned if the student visa issued to you has a permitted period of stay that is shorter than your intended study period because a student visa can be extended in Korea. Please note, however, that if you withdraw from the program while you are in Korea, your student visa status would be immediately terminated, as it is contingent upon the KDI School’s sponsorship. In addition, regardless of the expiration date on your visa, your student (D-2) visa will no longer be valid after 30 days from the date of academic completion or the expiration date wrote on the alien registration card back side. (please refer to your certificate of scholarship to check your academic completion date) and besides, KDI School does not provide a visa change process, support for you family visits and extend D-2 visa.
If you have inquiries regarding the documents, please contact to admission office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Registration for Alien Registration Card
Any foreigner intending to stay in Korea for more than 90 days after entry, you are required to register at the local immigration office having jurisdiction over your place of sojourn within 90 days from your arrival date.
All students are required to complete the Alien Registration by visiting the Immigration Office within a week at the latest of arrival at KDIS campus.
- After completing the quarantine period, you are required to make a reservation your visit at the Daejeon Immigration Office within 1 week at latest from the date you arrive at KDIS. (Link for the reservation: https://www.hikorea.go.kr/Main.pt). Guideline for 2023 ARC
- Before visiting the Daejeon Immigration Office, carefully check that you have prepared all the documents you need to obtain the ARC.
- Visit the Daejeon Immigration Office on the selected reservation date with the Appointment Receipt
- Explain that you are a KDIS student and submit you paperwork
- Register your fingerprints
- Select the method of delivery to receive your ARC
- 1. In person *highly recommended due to the risk of loss during delivery
- 2. Delivery to KDI School dormitory
- When your receive you ARC, you MUST submit a scanned copy of the front and back of the card to the Student Affairs Division.
please use the attached format below
ARC Student ID Name
- Reauired Documents
- An Application Form for Alien Registration
- A copy of Passport
- A copy of visa page in your passport
- 1 color photo (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
Please inform the photographer that you need a photo for Alien Registration Card (Size: 3.5㎝x4.5㎝/ white background) or show him/her the following line.
- Certificate of Admission (included in the admission package)
- Certificate of Scholarship (included in the admission package)
- A proof of Residency
- Students residing in the on-campus dormitory
- Go to the link (https://dormitory.kdischool.ac.kr)
- Log in
- Click "Certificate"
- Click "Certificate of Residence"
- Click "Print"
- Students living off-campus: Lease Contract* If your name is NOT specified as a tenant in the lease contract, submit a copy of an ID Card (both front and back side) of the tenant stated in the lease contract (임차인 신분증), as well.
- Processing Fee (Government Revenue Stamp): 34,000KRW in cash
Please visit the on-campus Woori Bank on the 2nd floor and have them break your 50,000 bill, if needed.
- Important Notes
- You will be fined at least 200,000KRW if you don't register within 90 days of the date of your arrival in Korea.
Any and all changes to your personal information including but not limited to changes in address or passport (expiration and/or re-issuance, etc.) MUST be reported to the local immigration office within 14 days of such a change.
Change in address can be reported at the nearest Community Service Center: 소담동주민센터
- Your D-2 Student Visa and Alien Registration Card will be terminated 30 days after the date of your coursework completion regardless of the expiration date of your visa or ARC. Extension of D-2 Student Visa is strictly NOT allowed for any reasons including but not limited to working on a Research Project.
Reporting Changes to your Ailen Registration Card
- If any changes occur to your registration details, such as your place of sojourn, the details must be reported to the local immigration office within 14 days of the date the change occurred.
- you can visit Sejong City Hall with following documents and go to No. 2 or No. 3 gate of public service center located in the 1st floor. It's opened from 9am to 6pm during the weekdays.
- List of documents
- Application Form → You will get it from city hall and fill it out on the spot.
- Alien Registration Card
- Related documents → Discuss with the person in charge.
Reissuance of Ailen Registration Card
- Reasons for re-issuance
- Lost or stolen registration cards
- Damaged registration cards
- Lack of space for necessary items to be displayed
- Changes in detail on the existing card (name, gender, date of birth and nationality)
- Application for re-issuance must be made within 14 days of the above reasons
- Required documents for re-issuance
- Application form for re-issuance of Foreign Registration card: You will get it from immigration office
- Document stating reason for re-issuance application (where lost): You will get it from immigration office
- Old registration card (if existing card is rendered useless from wear/tear, lack of space, or change of details
- Certificate of Enrollment(/#/students/cp/academics/registration/certificate)
- Certificate of Scholarship(/#/students/cp/academics/registration/certificate)
- Certificate of Residence
- Go to the link(https://dormitory.kdischool.ac.kr)
- Log in
- Click "Certificate"
- Click "Certificate of Residence"
- Click "Print"
- Processing Fee: KRW 60,000 (Government Revenue Stamp)
Korea Immigration Contact Center
- The Immigration Contact Center is a multilingual information counter that offers civil affairs consultation to foreigners living in Korea.
- Information is provided through online and telephone without any language barriers under the Law on Treatment of Foreigners in Korea. 20 languages including English is provided
- Operating hours: 9:00 ~ 18:00, Monday to Friday
- Telephone number: 1345 (regardless of local or cellular phone)
- Website: (http://www.hikorea.go.kr/).
Rules of Temporary Leave
Please note that Temporary Leave cannot be granted to students during class terms. Temporary Leave during vacation can be granted only if students obtain permission from KDI School.
'Request for Temporary Leave' should be submitted to the Student Affairs Division at least 2 weeks prior to the vacation period (spring, summer, winter)
You may take a temporary leave for a period of up to 30 days during your entire study period(this condition may differ depending on your scholarship regulation. e.g. NIIED, POSCO, and KOICA).
Prorated reductions will be made to the monthly allowance if your leave of absence with prior application exceeds 30 days.
If you plan to travel to a 3rd country (not Korea nor home country), a Certificate of Insurance should be submitted along with 'Request for Temporary Leave Form'.
How to apply for Temporary Leave
The period to apply for temporary leave during vacations will be notified via email, the application will be opened 3 weeks before vacations start. The guideline for temporary leave request is attached the below.Download the Guideline for Temporary Leaver Request
Exit and Entry
If you intend to exit and re-enter the country within the permitted period of stay as a registered foreigner, you do not need to get a re-entry permit. However, keep in mind that this applies to students who have completed their alien registration only. For more information, please visit the official website for 'Hi Korea', the e-Government for Foreigners
Policy for External Activities (International Students)
Please note that off-campus employment of any kind is not allowed, unless arranged by the school. If you violate this policy, your scholarship may not be maintained. For more information,
please contact me at email@example.com.Policy for External Activities (International Students)